I briefly mentioned last week and again on Monday that my work situation has worked itself out and that I am officially working again, but I didn’t actually tell you what I am doing and how things have fallen into place. That’s what today is for. But today is also for the reminder that sometimes we can choose the path that seems a bit out of the ordinary to others, is less conventional, but at the same time, brings us so much excitement.
Because that’s what I chose to do.
My work consists of many avenues:
- Marketing for a Grand Rapids Realty Group – I’m in the office 3 days a week right now, but once I get a bit more settled into this role, I’ll be in the office 1-2 days a week and working from home the rest of the time. It’s part-time at 20 hours/week and the team is awesome.
- Associate at Lolë – It’s retail and only about 10-15 hours/week but with some amazing ladies and the customers are all really nice.
- Freelance Writing – At this time I’m only writing for one online publication but I’m totally open to adding more to the list.
- Teaching Yoga – I’m at one studio most Saturday mornings (and one Monday evening per month) but also looking to add another studio or some additional classes to this list.
- Blogging – At this point it doesn’t make me much money, but it is nice when I get a sponsored post and can throw that towards the bills.
Is it a lot? Sure. Will I be busy? Yeah, of course. Does it require managing a sometimes tight schedule? Definitely. But it’s also what I want and I’m so excited about every bit of it.
One of the things I’ve realized throughout this lifetime is that it’s possible to love what you do, and while every day won’t always be sunshine and rainbows, if you surround yourself with GOOD people, a GREAT culture and atmosphere, then those harder days become so much easier to bear. It’s important to me to wake up excited to start my day, to do work that is meaningful, and to also see the potential for growth. That all exists in this new life/career I am building for myself. It’s not the usual Monday-Friday 9am-5pm office job that most people choose, but each of these jobs holds something for me.
There’s a Steve Jobs quote that I love where he says this…
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.
What do you do for work? Do you enjoy it?