The irony of this post is how just a few months ago I found myself too scared to try CrossFit. I had heard so many good things from other bloggers as well as friends of mine who went regularly. I heard all their reasons for loving it but still wasn’t sure it would be my thing. Obviously, I decided to step outside my comfort zone and give it a shot and as we’ve seen, I do indeed love it. I thought it would be fun to share some of the reasons why I’m loving CrossFit.
1. The Community – We hear this one over and over again. Everyone always talks about the community at CrossFit and I never actually expected that it would live up to what everyone said. I didn’t want people yelling at me to hurry up and finish my workout, only to later be like “can you believe how long it took her?” And I didn’t want people judging that I couldn’t lift as much weight as they could. Well, those fears were ridiculous.
At least at my box, I haven’t had judgements over what I can (or can’t) lift, rather I’ve had encouragement when I can add more but am allowing fear to get my way but I’ve also had encouragement that it’s okay to stop adding weight to the bar and that I’m doing really well.
We cheer each other on, but not in the drill sergeant-esque way I imagined, it’s out of pure encouragement. To hear “you got this Katie!” from across the box from someone who’s finished, is amazing! I’ve also joined in cheering on my fellow athletes. In fact last week, as we were cheering on two girls who were rocking their kipping pull-ups, I got goosebumps. I turned around and the entire box was standing around cheering them on, helping them count and cheer them on until the final pull-up. It was incredible!
2. Sweaty Workouts – I understand this might sound crazy but it takes a lot for me to sweat during a workout which often makes me feel like I’m not doing enough. I finish nearly every CrossFit workout dripping. While that may sound gross to some, it makes me feel amazing! Yes, also that I need a shower (ha!) but that I’m doing something amazing for my body and releasing toxins. I enjoy the sweat. (Yes, I realize I shouldn’t ever expect to meet a man while working out…lol)
3. The Feeling on my hands from the bars – Okay, this is going to sound weird, but there’s a feeling I get on my hands after holding the bars or doing pull-ups. But I like it. My hands may not be super smooth but they’re tough and I like that better.
4. Variety of Workouts – I was in a serious lull with my workouts before. It was the same thing every week or with little variety. I was going through the motions, even on workouts that I hadn’t done in awhile or really enjoyed. I was in need of a serious shakeup and CrossFit has brought that into my life. Yes there’s the benchmark workouts but otherwise things are constantly changing, which I think helps my sweat factor. 😉
5. Workout Structure – This is HUGE coming from the girl who would rarely plan Tabata or Circuit workouts into her workout regime. I always felt like I would end up pushing myself too hard too fast or wasn’t getting enough of a workout. When I first heard about CrossFit and the short workouts, I didn’t think I would get enough of a workout or would upset my asthma by going out too fast. Guess what? We warm up and stretch, we have a strength focus for the day and then we get into the WOD where we find our pace. This hasn’t been an issue despite it being one of my biggest fears going into it.
I still believe that we all need to find the workout that suits us best and that we enjoy doing. For some that will be CrossFit, for others it won’t be. And that’s okay in both instances. I’m enjoying CrossFit, I’m going to share why and how I’m able to make it work for me, and if you’re so inclined to give it a go, I’ll be here to support you. If you don’t like it, I’ll continue you to support you in finding what you enjoy.
If you do CrossFit, what do you love most about it?
If you don’t, what do you love most about the form of exercise that you love?
okay… I’ve gotta try it! I love group workouts for a lot of the same reasons!
Please come visit so we can go together!
I want to do crossfit so bad, but just too expensive for me. I try to do WODs I can do by myself that don’t require a crossfit box and that’s about as far as I can do. Hopefully one day I can join a box!
One thing I love doing is running! It comes before all other workouts. I try to get 20-30 miles in a week and I just love that feeling after I’ve tackled a run…it’s the most amazing feeling.
It’s definitely a bit pricey but it’s something that I’ve decided is worth it for me for several different reasons, but I do understand that being an issue. One thing is to see if any local boxes near you have a free class that you can try! I know mine has a free class every Saturday morning so people can come try CrossFit and see if it’s something they like.
I seriously want to try crossfit but feel so intimidated by it!
Don’t be! I was too before trying it but have absolutely loved it! Tell me why you’re intimidated, let me see how I can help calm your worries! 🙂
These are some of the reasons I love group fitness classes too! The community, variety of workouts, the structure, the motivation – some of my favorite things. So glad you’re loving Crossfit and found something that is perfect for YOU!
Thanks, girl! I’ve never been a group fitness fan before this. I only tried it a couple times but I always found the gym was my opportunity to get in a zone on my OWN so this has definitely been new for me to enjoy working out with others but I am liking it so that’s what counts! 😉
I love hearing about people’s Cross Fit experiences! I would love to try, but the biggest thing holding me back is the $$. It’s great to hear how much you’re liking it!
It is a bit pricey but for me it’s been worth it for numerous reasons. You can often find a free class at your local box to at least try it!
I am so intrigued by cross fit with how you all seem SO into it…I am going to HAVE to give it a go when I can afford to tone my running career down a notch, although i do not think I would be very good as my arms are so pathetic and weedy! I I think you already know I am a runner as it is kind of my career, especially at this point. I love how passionate you are about cross fit….I enjoy seeing others so into their sport/exercise too!
Everyone kept telling me it would HELP my running…maybe something to consider? You could even try and find a free class at a local box just to give it a try one day! 🙂
i love that you guys have a strength focus! i don’t think all boxes do that but i am so happy yours does!
No? I thought it was normal! But I’m sure at least MOST probably have some kind of focus and while we might be working towards a 1RM or 3RM or whatever, we’re also working on the FORM which is obviously huge!