I’ve said it before and I’ll continue to say it, I love my job! I not only enjoy it but it challenges me, something that I find very important to keep me engaged and growing within my career. There’s also no denying that I’m an introvert working in an extroverted world. This can be a challenge but I’ve also learned how to put on my big girl pants and get shit done!
Last week’s trip to Kansas City was a whole week of being outside my comfort zone, which was exhausting, exhilarating and one giant learning experience for me. With that, I thought it would be fun to share some of my tips for my fellow introverts trying to master the art of living and working in an extroverted world.
- Dig Deep – this is the “big girl pants” moment for me. Some days it’s easier than others but ultimately, I have work to do and it’s not going to happen if I don’t dig deep and just DO it!
- Give Yourself Time – This is SO important! For us introverts, it can be really exhausting to step outside our comfort zone over and over again and it’s important to take that time to recharge. Sometimes that may mean nights at home like a little hermit and other times it may mean an unnecessary trip to the bathroom just to feel like you have a minute to breathe.
- Practice – Honestly, as the saying goes, practice makes perfect. The more time I put on my big girl pants, the easier it is the next time. The more time I let pass between those moments, the harder the next one is.
- Interrupt – I don’t mean in a rude way but it can be hard to feel like you can even get a word in edgewise if you don’t. I had one meeting last week where I didn’t say a word, simply because I couldn’t! I tried, I had things I wanted to say but no one ever gave me a break to speak. On the other hand, at another meeting, I did politely interrupt “I want to add to that…” and what I had to say led to a great conversation that needed to be had.
- Go One-on-One – This isn’t always possible, but if/when it is, take it. It’s so much easier for me to be one-on-one with people so in certain situations, I make sure to take this option when it’s offered.
I’m no master and am constantly learning and trying to get better at this, so tell me…
What are your tips for the introvert living in the extroverted world?
Great tips girl… I’m painfully shy if I don’t know you, but I tend to be very extroverted. Weird combo. I’m married to an introvert though and if he doesn’t interrupt me..he doesn’t get a word in. 😉
haha! When someone gets to know me, I definitely get more extroverted and I feel like since working from home and not often being around people, once I get around people I know, I have a really hard time shutting up. You’ve been warned… 😉
Great tips! As an introvert, it’s definitely hard to function in the extroverted world!
Thanks, girlie!! 🙂
I LOVE the interrupt one! It always feels – as an introvert – that you’re interrupting but really, you’re just communicating like an extrovert. I also find that finding time for myself during busy days helps a ton. Even just a quick 5-minute walk alone can take the edge off 🙂
Exactly!! It’s not really interrupting but it IS how it feels so sometimes we just have to suck it up and do it.